Hello. I happen to like lyx. for lots of things. But I need to be able
to access my documents via more than one computer. Not all of which
are easy to upgrade to newer software versions.

One of my computers is running lyx 1.6.1 on which I recently wrote a
couple of documents. Then I had occasion to modify one of the .lyx files
on a different linux box.  But the available version of lyx was only
1.5.6 and when I tried to open the document I was informed that it had
been created by a different version of lyx. And that the lyx2lyx script
had failed. <sigh>

I'm reasonably certain I hadn't used any new advanced features from
ver 1.6.1 that ver 1.5.6 doesn't have. I started with a short document
that was created on ver 1.5.6 (or earlier)... Which I had opened with
ver 1.6.1 deleted a line. Added text to about 5 existing lines which i
modified the color of. Then inserted a few paragraphs of text. And did
a "Save As" new name. So I was a bit surprised that version 1.5.6
couldn't open the resulting document.

Is there a way to tell lyx 1.6.1 to save in an older lyx format?

OR is there a conversion script that can convert a (lyx version 1.6.1).lyx
file into something lyx 1.5.6 can open???