It would appear that on Mar 10, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook did say:

> The biggest problem should be that I have about a half dozen .lyx files
> that I open all at once via a script when I work on the story.  But
> since that script finishes by backing up my .lyxfiles to a usbstick from
> which I can import the latest changes to my laptop, then I suppose
> that the version of the script on the linux with the lyx ver 1.6.1
> could also" mv ${filename}.lyx ${filename}-v161.lyx, then invoke
> lyx2lyx to save the lyx 1.5.6 version as ${filename}.lyx... That way
> my script will always open the 1.5.6 compatabe copy.

Actually the script that opens those files with lyx calls another
which does the backup... For me the solution was to establish the
version of lyx2lyx from lyx 1.6.1 as a command line tool. then to
modify the back-up script so that it now contains:

#!/bin/bash
# tarLyxSTUFF use tar & gzip to backup the lyxSTUFF dir...
# special version for saba4... extra code to convert .lyx files that
# were written by lyx 1.6.1 from "lyxformat 345" to "lyxformat 276"
# which the more prevalent lyx 1.5.6 can process. via the lyx2lyx
# script from lyx 1.6.1. (See ~/bin2nd/lyx2lyx for details)
cd ~/com/lyxSTUFF
fixlist=`grep -l "lyxformat 345" *.lyx`
for InName in $fixlist
do
OutName=`echo $InName|sed 's/\(.lyx\)/.v_1_6_1-lyx/'`
echo "Preserving original $InName  as  $OutName"
cp $InName $OutName
echo "Processing $InName via lyx2lyx"
lyx2lyx -t 276 -o $InName $OutName
done
# end of 'extra' code for saba4
cd ~/com/uplo
echo "
the old current LyXstuff files in uplo were"
ls -l LyXstuff*
mv LyXstuff.tgz LyXstuffWAS.tgz
cd ~/com/lyxSTUFF
tar -czf ~/com/uplo/LyXstuff.tgz .
cd ~/com/uplo
echo "
the new current LyXstuff files in uplo are"
ls -l LyXstuff*

I went with .v_1_6_1-lyx rather than -v161.lyx because I don't want
the next run to redundantly process the .v_1_6_1-lyx files...

FYI ~/com is the mount point for a personal data partition mounted
   there for my primary login regardless of which linux distro I boot...
And ~/com/uplo is regularly backed up to my laptop. especially prior to
    my taking it somewhere I can't get at my desktop...