Just my view upon this:

I find mailing lists (ML) very convenient and I don't follow forums in
general except of the "ubuntuforums.org". But MLs have several
drawbacks.

One thing that is not that good in MLs are LONG threads as the current
one. It's hard to follow sometimes and people tend to post irrelevant
stuff on a ML-thread or change the subject of it so a new thread starts
when it's not required. In addition, it's not possible to mark
ML-threads as SOLVED. The latter is, in my humble opinion, a big
drawback.

Fora require more energy to maintain but provide means to organize
information better. Of course, the LyX-wiki is very good which fulfills
most of what the ML doesn't satisfy.

That said, I think a ML + Wiki are enough. Without the wiki, the forum
would be a "must-have".

Kindest regards, Nikos