Steve Litt wrote:
> So, if anyone has indexing problems and sees range type index code that
>  looks like this:
>
> \index{chapter 2|(@chapter 2\textbar{}(}
> instead of this:
> \index{chapter 2|(}
>
> then the most likely solution is to set
>  Tools->Preferences->Output->LaTeX->Tex to T1.

The correct solution would be to put the "|" character in an ERT.

> THE ONLY REMAINING TASK is to understand the meaning of T1. What is it?

Does this help?
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=whatenc

>  It's the set of characters that you will be using in the document -- the
>  set of characters you will be restricted to. For instance, the following
>  is the T1 encoding:
>
> http://www.micropress-inc.com/fonts/encoding/t1.htm
>
> The following is OT1, which looks a heck of a lot like ASCII to me:
>
> http://www.micropress-inc.com/fonts/encoding/ot1.htm
>
> Here's where the plot thickens. I've read that if you select a specific
>  font encoding like T1, it can change the font version that your document
>  uses:
>
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fuzzy-T1
>
> Could someone please explain the info in the preceding URL to me? In fact,
>  a lot of my stuff IS fuzzy when viewed in xpdf.

It happens that, for the T1 font encoding, some (in the past: all) LaTeX
distributions use a bitmap default font. This bitmap font looks "fuzzy" in the
PDF viewer (but not in the printout).

The solution is to switch to a PostScript font such as Latin Modern.

See this FAQ:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1

Jürgen