Venable schrieb:

I use LyX 1.6.4 on Windows XP.

Me too.

I am having trouble with LyX crashing when I try to edit urls. I am
able to edit them within ERT boxes but when I try to click on one that
is in a little gray box (i.e. just the letters "URL" visible, not the
entire URL, although the URL looks well-formed in the LaTeX preview
window), LyX freezes and then crashes with the following popup error
message:

I cannot reproduce this. I can click at, in, or beside the URL box or its label
without any problems.
How was your LyX 1.6.4 installed? Was it a fresh installation or have you installed it over an existing LyX installation?

regards Uwe