On 2009-11-18, Rob Oakes wrote:

> I've run up against a problem that I don't know how to solve.  I've
> spent the last several days putting together a document class that
> matches the style of my book publisher.  Because it uses an Open Type
> font, I created it as a XeLaTeX class.  I've set up my xetex per the
> instructions on the LyX wiki and have been using it for several weeks
> without trouble.

> On the document class side of things, everything appears to be working.
> The fonts are properly loaded and all of my custom macros are working.

> On the LyX side of things, the outlook isn't nearly rosy. While the
> document will compile without problems, it insists on using the wrong
> font - I think it's computer modern (whatever it is, it's a bitmap font
> and hideously ugly).

Seems to be the default CM. Never call it ugly on a TeX-related list.

> Moreover, it insists on using this font no matter what I do to change
> it.  I've tried changing it from the Gui.  I've tried adding things to
> the LaTeX preamble.  Neither works.

> What's even more strange, when I export it to standard LaTeX and try and
> get things to work right from the command line, I have the same
> problems.

Same output from LyX and hand-compiling shows that LyX is properly
working.

> I can get it to compile correctly if I go in and modify the
> exported LaTeX.  Here's what LyX exports:

> \documentclass[oneside,english]{rapidBook}
> \usepackage{mathpazo}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

This will compile with nice outlined Palatino fonts. Try it! If not, your
TeX installation is broken. (Hint: \usepackage{mathpazo} selects it.)

> If I delete \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, then it will compile with the
> correct fonts.

What do you call correct?

> What I don't understand, however, is why this package is
> being added to my LaTeX output.  How can I tell LyX to not add this
> package?

Export as/for XeTeX, or search the list archive for fontenc and/or font
encoding. We had this just recently.

> Is there something in my layout file that is causing it?

No.

Günter