On Wednesday 23 March 2011 09:04:05 you wrote:
> On 03/22/2011 07:33 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com>
wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm now labelling all 57 chapters of my new book, and what a PITA!
> >>
> >> First of all, there's no hotkey -- I have to do Insert->Label on every
> >> one.
> >
> > At least for this you can easily define a custom shortcut. See the
> > docs (Customization and Functions, I think).
>
> How about alt-i, l? (Keyboard-based menu access.)
>
> >> But even worse, the label defaults to the first three words, and often
> >> the first word is "The". Is there a way to have the label default to
> >> the first five words?
> >
> > I have no idea, but this might be hardcoded. You have always the
> > option to change it in the sources and rebuild it for you needs.
> > Otherwise perhaps file a bug report.
>
> Rainer's idea about this is OK, but it seems a lot of work for not much
> payoff.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

You'd have a new respect for the payoff after labeling 55 chapters with more
than 3 words, and many start with "The" or "A".

If Rainer's idea is too much work, an easier route could be made. Somewhere in
the code is a constant, variable or magic number describing the max length in
words of a default label. Just use that constant, variable or magic number to
set a variable, and then override the variable based on an environment
variable if the environment variable exists. I'd guess it would be about a ten
minute change.

Then, if that environment variable solution becomes popular, at a later time
the number of words can be set using a genuine configuration screen.

How does that sound?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt