On Tuesday 26 April 2011 17:38:15 Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 April 2011 08:22:14 you wrote:
> > On 04/26/2011 05:33 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have an entire 110,000 word book in which single quotes don't pair
> > > up, but instead both the opening and closing single quote look exactly
> > > like the character on the key of my keyboard. How can I get LyX to
> > > automatically pair the quotes up like it does with doublequotes?
> >
> > If you type:
> >      `this is a quote'
> >
> > then LyX is meant to output the two quotes as is, and then LaTeX should
> > take care of the rest. That seems to work here, anyway.
>
> Thanks Richard,
>
> I tried it and confirmed that your suggestion produces the same output that
> Jürgen's did. Is there any advantage of one way over the other?

I found the answer to this question myself. Jürgen's Alt+Shift+" is MUCH
better because it puts the actual begin and end quote characters in LyX,
rather than leaving it to LaTeX to figure out. This means that if I start a
phrase with a grave accent, end it with a singlequote (apostrophe) but there's
an apostrophe for a contraction in between, it won't put a closing quote on
the contraction. For instance, take this sentence.

"I already said that 'Billy has an elephant, and it's walking on the
driveway'."

The preceding sentence would work right with Jürgen's method, but I'm pretty
sure the grave accent method would put a closing single quote on "it's".

Thanks everyone. You really helped me.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package