On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> My writing is mostly letters, memos, short to medium length reports, and
> longer projects including proposals and articles. I always keep formatting to
> the simplest minimum possible. I would like to make the break and actually
> start using LyX/LaTeX, focusing initially on shorter documents. So far this
> has involved importing text or LaTeX coded documents into LyX, modifying the
> format to suit my tastes using the menu and toolbar. My ability to make
> documents look the way I want them to is limited. In addition, I have to
> start from scratch with each document. I am not developing what I think in
> LyX/LaTeX are called "layouts" that could be used repeatedly.

To modify aspects of your documents you do not need to create new
'layouts'. You can take a class, create the backbone of your desired
document (also by taking into account your personal idiosyncrasies, as
far as LyX and LaTeX let you to), and save it as a template (say,
'template_101.lyx'). Then you can re-use this template as many times
as you want.
Liviu