Hello

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> OK, I have a simple document, of a kind I create frequently. I've selected a
> document class -- koma-script article -- as a basis on which to begin
> building a template, have made some changes to the document, and have saved a
> copy of it in the templates folder.
>
> I am not certain that is sufficient to make it a template. It doesn't look
> like a template, certainly not like the ones that come with LyX. It has
> content. I've barely started working toward the formatting I'd eventually
> like to become standard for documents produced with this "template".
>
> Nor am I certain I know to use it as a template. Till now I've been importing
> documents compiled to LaTeX from Scrivener. May be mistaken, but I don't
> believe I can import such a document into a template. How do I get it into my
> "template"?

Perhaps we were a bit cryptic about the value of templates.

A template is a means, not an end. As soon as you finish tailoring the
sketch of a document (using the class that you've chosen) to your
likes, then you're good to go: start writing and filling it up with
actual content. When you finish writing the document and you're ready
to submit it, if you are happy with the looks of the final output and
anticipate to create such documents later, _then_ you may consider
carving out of it a template, put it into the LyX templates folder (or
any other folder, for the matter), and re-use whenever the needs
arise.

Again, templates are optional. If you manage to create a sketch (of a
document) that you like, then go on and write up the entire document.
Later on decide if you need it as a template.

Cheers
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?