Hi, I am new at using LyX and I'm trying to create an alphabetic index
in a book. However, there's no such option in the book layout, so I've
been trying to use a custom index.

I created it by adding a new index called 'Alphabetic index' in Document
> Settings > Indexes. Then I selected the text I wanted to add in the
index and I added it with Insert > Index entry (Alphabetic index), and a
gray box with green letters appeared.
After that, I inserted the alphabetic index somewhere in the book
(Insert > Indexes > Index: Alphabetic index) and a gray box labeled
'Alphabetic index' appeared right there.
But when I try to export it as a PDF, there is no index (apart from the
default table of contents).

Am I doing something wrong? If so, how am I supposed to add multiple

Thank you very much.

Francesc Gispert

PS: I am currently using Debian Wheezy and LyX 2.0.0. The result of
'#uname -r' (kernel) is 2.6.39-2-686-pae. All the lyx- or latex-related
packages have been installed through the Debian Wheezy official
repositories.