On 2011-08-24, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Virgil Arrington <cuyfa...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Dear all,

>> I’ve been using Latex and LyX for about a year now. I like LyX’s GUI which
>> insulates me from having to type in all the commands. But, I have a
>> question.

>> My Latex distribution has many fonts installed on it. My favorite is Linux
>> Libertine, which is complete with OSF and true small caps, etc.

> This is a system font, not a LaTeX one.

Actually, there is also a version of Libertine for use with traditional
LaTeX (via the "libertine" package).

>> But, Libertine is not listed in LyX’s drop down list of fonts even though it
>> is part of my latex distribution. The drop down list only seems to list the
>> “standard” Latex fonts.

Even not all fonts of the LaTeX core...

>> Is there any way to get LyX to recognize all of the fonts that are
>> included in my Latex distribution.

No. Better support for more of the font packages is a long standing feature
request. You might want to vote for the relevant ticket at bugs.lyx.org.

For the time beeing:

* set (or leave) the font(s) as [Default]

* read the font-package's documentation

* insert the command(s) and options recommended there in the "LaTeX preamble".

As screen-font and print-font are "de-coupled" anyway, there is no
disadvantage of this approach once the correct command (usually a
\usepackage{the-font-package}) is in place.

Alternatively,

> In LyX 2.0, you can use 'non-TeX fonts' and choose Linux Libertine &
> Biolinum if these are installed on your system. Then you will compile
> your documents with XeTeX.

Günter