On 2011-09-16, Alex Fernandez wrote:
> Hi again,

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Murat Yildizoglu <myi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am meeting another problem with elyxer conversion. If I do not put
>> the .bib files in the same folder as the .lyx file, elyxer does not
>> seem able to find them, and the bibliography is empty. If I put them
>> in the same folder, I get the bibliography.

> You can also use relative paths, and they are supposed to work! Where
> are you placing the .bib files?

In all modern LaTeX distributions, bibtex databases are searched along
the bibpath with the kpathsea library. There is the command line utility
kpsewhich for use by other programs.

E.g. bibtex file ``foo.bib`` can be found with the command::

   kpsewhich -format bib foo.bib

(if the filename extension is ``.bib``, the -format specifier can be omitted).

May be there is even a Python wrapper. Looking at the Python-based bibtex
engines could give more info. There are (at least):

         * CrossTeX_, a backwards-compatible, improved bibtex
           re-implementation in Python (including HTML export).
           (development stalled since 2 years)

         * Pybtex_,a drop-in replacement for BibTeX written in Python.

           * BibTeX styles & (experimental) pythonic style API.
           * Database in BibTeX, BibTeXML and YAML formats.
           * full Unicode support.
           * Write to TeX, HTML and plain text.

.. _CrossTeX: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/crosstex/
.. _Pybtex:   http://pybtex.sourceforge.net/

BTW: How about using Pybtex for the citation-formatting?

Günter