Hi Günter,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:
> In all modern LaTeX distributions, bibtex databases are searched along
> the bibpath with the kpathsea library. There is the command line utility
> kpsewhich for use by other programs.

Aha, I always supposed that the .bib file had to be stored along with
the .lyx file.

> E.g. bibtex file ``foo.bib`` can be found with the command::
>
>   kpsewhich -format bib foo.bib
>
> (if the filename extension is ``.bib``, the -format specifier can be omitted).

Good idea, it should not take too much effort to write a wrapper.
There is already one for ImageMagick's convert.

> May be there is even a Python wrapper. Looking at the Python-based bibtex
> engines could give more info. There are (at least):
>
>         * CrossTeX_, a backwards-compatible, improved bibtex
>           re-implementation in Python (including HTML export).
>           (development stalled since 2 years)
>
>         * Pybtex_,a drop-in replacement for BibTeX written in Python.
>
>           * BibTeX styles & (experimental) pythonic style API.
>           * Database in BibTeX, BibTeXML and YAML formats.
>           * full Unicode support.
>           * Write to TeX, HTML and plain text.
>
> .. _CrossTeX: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/people/egs/crosstex/
> .. _Pybtex:   http://pybtex.sourceforge.net/
>

> BTW: How about using Pybtex for the citation-formatting?

Perhaps a bit too involved at this stage, it would have been nice to
integrate instead of writing my own stuff (but it sure was fun!).

Alex.