Well, there is no doubt that math typesetting and float tracking is
considerably more robust in TeX, no need to argue about that. The main
problem I am constantly encountering when I try to convert people in
TeX is the fact that people get easily discouraged by the steep
learning curve. And it *is* steep especially if you are coming from a
text processing background.

My first experience with LyX was when I was trying to switch to TeX in
general and it was disastrous. I got so frustrated I gave up. Nowadays,
after having used (La)TeX for some years I found my second experience
with LyX magical. Everything made sense and worked perfectly. The fact
that LyX hides a lot of the horrid TeX markup is both good and bad.
It's good because, well, it is more pleasing and eases the transition
from word processing, but on the other hand when you start using a
bazillion of packages and things break (and *will* break) it is quite
difficult to dissect the errors, especially with the cryptic error
messages that TeX produces.

LyX is a really nice and mature piece of software and supports a great
variety of widely used packages. No doubt the people behind it have
worked hard to deliver such a nice product. But one should not expect
that it magically transforms text into beautiful documents. In my
opinion it is *complementary* to TeX and not a replacement. It will
definitely get you started to produce documents easily, but if you want
to go a step further then it will not write TeX for you; you will need
to get your hands dirty. I've written my MSc thesis easily with LyX and
it came out quite nice but my preamble was 300 lines long, so you get
my point. Fortunately there is a huge amount of resources to help you
with your endeavor. :)

Spyros