On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:37 PM, François-Xavier Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently write a lot of mathematical documents in TeXmacs, mainly
> because the way you can type formulas is very intuitive.
>
> Two basic examples for those who don't know about it :
>  * Begin a formula : Only the $ sign, no Ctrl/Meta/Alt keys

LyX has very powerful and flexible shortcut capabilities. The default for
getting into math mode is "Opt-m m" but you can add a shortcut that will enable
$ to do the same.

>  * You can hit the Tab key to cycle through similar characters : For
> instance, alpha looks like the "a" letter, so shorthand is "a Tab".
> This makes typing a lot of characters really easy!

LyX has excellent (optional) command completion in math mode and in ordinary
text editing mode; often a single character is all you need before you can
complete with Tab; you rarely need more than three characters. And, again, you
can add shortcuts for your favorite symbols and functions to the many existing
shortcuts (all of which are themselves editable).

Chris Menzel