On Oct 24, 2011, at 4:04 PM, David L. Johnson wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 09:43 AM, Christopher Menzel wrote:
>> On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:37 PM, François-Xavier Thomas wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I currently write a lot of mathematical documents in TeXmacs, mainly
>>> because the way you can type formulas is very intuitive.
>>>
>>> Two basic examples for those who don't know about it :
>>>  * Begin a formula : Only the $ sign, no Ctrl/Meta/Alt keys
>> LyX has very powerful and flexible shortcut capabilities. The default for
>> getting into math mode is "Opt-m m" but you can add a shortcut that will
>> enable $ to do the same.
>
> Which will work fine so long as you never need to use the dollar sign as a
> dollar sign.

Not so. Add \newcommand{\dollar}{\$} to your preamble and insert a bit of ERT
when you need it. But look, I didn't say it was a good idea, just that it can
be done.

> There is no reason not to tie such a command to a simple keystroke that is
> not a character.

Unless, of course, it's what you're used to and what you want. That could be a
pretty great reason for someone and it's very cool that LyX is so flexible that
it allows it.

> I use F10, so no key-chord.

A fine choice. :-)

> Ctrl keys and the like are not really inherently evil; you can use them and
> they don't get confused with their other uses.

With this I entirely agree.

Chris Menzel