Hello Rob
To echo others, it's great that you'd like to work on this.

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Rob Oakes <rob.oa...@oak-tree.us> wrote:
> What features would you consider essential?
>
> (Right now, styles based conversion looks pretty easy -- going from Heading
> 1 in Word to Chapter, for example. But I'm not sure how well it would
> convert maths. This is something I'll still need to look at, and may require
> writing an additional module.)

Reasonably fussless import of .doc in LyX, and reasonably fussless
export from LyX to .doc.

> Does the script need to support special cases, such as importing Word "track
> changes"?

Although I do appreciate others' arguments for having this, I would
believe that it's more of a perk. If your tool can simply translate
from Word to LyX, and vice-versa (I'm not talking of 'round-trip'),
the it would already be a great achievement. Accepting track changes
can be done in Word (and LibreOffice, I assume).

> Just how important do you consider "round-tripping" a document, e.g., going
> from LyX to Word and back to LyX.

I'm afraid this is more like chasing a wild goose. If LyX has a hard
time to round-trip to LaTeX, as it currently is more or less, then I'm
sceptical that round-trips to Word can be more reliable. It would be
great, however, to be able to reasonably import .doc in LyX, and
reasonably export from LyX to .doc. Reliable round-tripping should be
more of a secondary goal.

Regards
Liviu