On 02/16/2012 05:05 PM, Colin Williams wrote:
I haven't been able to keep up with the subject. It seems there is some division about how much latex knowledge is required to create a book that scales many platforms. If latex is required, then it's my opinion that lyx itself isn't quite ready for ebook publishing.

Knowledge of LaTeX is required only for customization of certain elements of the appearance of e.g. section headings, and then only if you are using a form of output that is based upon LaTeX. Rob Oakes has been working on a method for generating ebooks that is based upon LyX's XHTML output (potentially, HTML 5 output). In that case, the customization is done through CSS or through LyX's layout files.

But everything depends upon how much customization you want to do. LyX, like LaTeX, and like standards-based web applications, is designed around the idea of separating content from presentation. On the content side, no LaTeX knowledge is needed. It's on the presentation side where that becomes important.

Richard