Hi Rob,

I'm CC'ing Thomas Coffee and Murat Yildizoglu, who as the wiki says
did a lot of work on the SAGE module. They might be interested in your
experience.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 06:16 -0400, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>
>> I've been meaning to checkout SAGE + LyX so if no one comes along to
>> help you I might take a look.
>
> I appreciate the offer. After some quality time looking into how the
> module works and how SageTeX processes documents, I was able to get it
> up and running. I found this page to be extremely helpful:
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/tutorial/sagetex.html

Great! Good job figuring it out.

> Of course, like all things, I was hoping to get a quick response via the
> list. I decided last year that I wanted to go back to school to improve
> my mechanical engineering skills and was hoping to get Sage working for
> a lab report.
>
> (Why I decided more education would be desirable is completely beyond
> me. I've forgotten how thoroughly miserable it is to be a student. While
> I frequently have to work late, it's been years since I've had to pull
> an all-night session to finish homework. It's every bit as bad as I
> remember. It might even be worse, if you factor in age.)

I bet that it's really difficult to do what you're doing. Hopefully
there are some fun things about being a student again that will
surprise you. How about coming home after turning your homework in and
crashing on your bed -- that must have felt nice at least :). Best of
luck with your challenge!

>> How did you install SAGE? In the past
>> I've compiled from source which was very smooth but took a while.
>> There is also a PPA: https://launchpad.net/~aims/+archive/sagemath
>
> To get Sage installed, I used the PPA. I thought about compiling from
> source so that I could integrate it with the system Python, and then
> thought better of it. The installation from the PPA was quick and I
> haven't had any issues, so far.

Glad to hear.

> To install the SageTeX module (which has to be done separately from
> installing Sage), I copied the sagetex folder into my LaTeX path and ran
> texhash.

Thanks, this is useful for me. I didn't know they were separate.

>> Which version do you have installed?
>
> I'm running version 5.1.
>
>> Does the terminal output or View Messages toolbar give any useful
>> output that you could share?
>
> The output was helpful, but didn't make much sense until I read more
> about how SageTeX works.
>
> Sage processes files in two steps. You write your document, then you run
> LaTeX (pdflatex, xelatex, lualatex, or regular latex) on it. This
> creates a second file, with the Sage processing instructions in it. This
> has a *.sagetex.sage file extension.
>
> At this point, you have to run Sage on this secondary file, which
> generates your equations, plots and other elements so that they can be
> incorporated into your original LaTeX file. At that point, you run LaTeX
> on the original file a second time to produce the typeset document.
>
> The problem I was having is that I was only running LaTeX on my new
> documents. The converters I set up didn't follow the appropriate pathway
> of LaTeX -> Sage -> LaTeX. Once I added in the Sage processing step,
> everything started to work.

Thanks for the explanation. It would be nice if the module took care
of all of this.

>> Do you have a minimum working example that you could send or link to?
>
> Absolutely, attached is a simple example that I'm working up into a
> template.
>
> I'm just getting started with Sage, but now that it's working, I'm quite
> impressed with what I've seen. For the past 10 years or so, I've been
> using aging copies of Maple for symbolic computation, and this looks
> like it will allow me to modernize. (I don't actually have to do much
> symbolic math, so it hasn't been that big of a deal.)
>
> Being able to work from within LyX, in a manner very similar to the way
> I work with R code via Knitr/Sweave, is going to be very nice. Knowing
> that it's all open is even better.

I'm also a big fan of R + Knitr (+ LyX) and I agree with you. I think
having things integrated is closer to how our minds work and allows
for a more natural workflow.

> PS, when I get time, I'm going to try and update the instructions on the
> Wiki to make a couple of things clearer. I'll also probably write a blog
> post about it, just so I've got a record of how I got things working. If
> you'd like, I'll send you a link when it's finished.

Yes, I'm definitely interested. This would be great.

Thanks a lot Rob!

Scott