On 12/10/2012 03:07 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM,  <obregonma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think people are missing the point here ... Lyx is *great* for writing and
getting references and labels right! This goes for APA journals as much as for
math/engineering journals.

I have co-authored several articles for APA journals and the pay-off of writing them in
Lyx and then getting them into LaTeX or PDF has been wonderful, especially as I have
*not* had to make final "typo" changes/corrections to the submitted/reviewed
article before printing.

So, *please* keep the APA6 layout and corresponding bibtex referencing
up-to-date!
Hi Mateo, John, Ray, Jacob (and everyone else),

It seems APA6 is useful to a lot of people and in particular to you
guys. How about we make a layout for it together then?

I know absolutely nothing about APA6 (or psychology for that matter),
little about layouts, and very little about document classes. But I am
confident that we can do it. Look in your library directory (go to
Help > About if you don't know where it is) and then go to
layouts/apa.layout.
Open it up. It shouldn't look too scary to you. It looks more like
English to me than programming (thank you to the LyX developers who
have made it look so nice and flexible). So this is an opportunity
where even if you don't know/like programming, you can help out.

But wait, that's not all. If we learn the LyX layout format, in
addition to us making an apa6 layout (and thus helping ourselves and
potentially a lot of others), we'll learn how to customize LyX layouts
to our liking. This can be very useful and can make using LyX a lot
more fun and personalized.

The developers around here are extremely nice and generous and would
help us out when we get stuck. But they are involved in a million
things and it's not clear at all to me that they should stop doing
those things in order to make this layout, especially when I'm sure
we're capable of doing it.

Who's in?
I'm happy to give loads of advice, too. Here's how I'd start: Get some kind of example LaTeX file that exercises as much of what APA6 provides as is possible. Copy the existing apa.layout file to apa6.layout and change the second line to:

#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[apa6]{article (APA v6)}

Now try to load your example file in LyX. What doesn't work will be what needs fixing. There will be more to do, as well, but you will get a long way just doing that much.

Oh, and I'd avoid the biblatex bits of APA6 for now. Use something like:
    ClassOptions
        Other "natbib"
    End
to force the use of that option.