On 18/01/13 05:17, Jerry wrote:

> [...]
>> <mailto:lancebo...@qwest.net>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for that tip. I checked it out. It's just a Python thing so it works
>> fine on OS X,
>> and LyX picked it up as advertised.
>>

>> Yes, I can confirm that OS X is fully supported.
>>

>> The output on my simple test case does look nice in a browser, but I get the
>> same error
>> opening with Word as I first described: "The XML file bla bla bla cannot be
>> opened..." etc.
>> I thought maybe my copy of Word was broken but it reads other HTML files
>> fine--I'm guessing
>> they don't have the XML stuff in them, however.
>>

>> Word does not like XHTML very much; you need to export to HTML 4, using the
>> --html option.
>> http://elyxer.nongnu.org/userguide.html#sub:HTML-Code If you are doing the
>> conversion inside
>> LyX, instead of on the command line, you have to add the --html in the
>> conversion interface.
>>

>> I checked the HTML file that eLyXer made with the W3C page and got: "The
>> uploaded document
>> "-" was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional."
>>

>> Yes, eLyXer outputs pure XHTML.
>>

>> Also--eLyXer does not appear to use MathML so I don't think there is any
>> hope of getting
>> editable math into Word using this method. (But I haven't read all of the
>> eLyXer docs.)
>>

>> eLyXer has several options for Math output:
>> http://elyxer.nongnu.org/userguide.html#sub:Math
>> Sadly, none of them is MathML, since at the time eLyXer was conceived it was
>> not very widely
>> supported, and I have not found the time to add it.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Alex Fernández.
>>
> Hi, Alex,
>
> Thanks for the comments and for the great tool. It does what it claims to to,
> convert LyX to
> HTML, with lots of math options. The default conversion looks great in a
> browser.
>
> I tried your --html suggestion and indeed Word opens it, and displays it much
> as a browser
> does. Unfortunately, the HTML limitations are apparent; this is probably as
> good as a HTML-only
> conversion can get.
>
> In my slow-witted way, I'm starting to understand why Word will not open the
> various XML
> formats that I'm throwing at it. (I also played with TeXht today (and the Mac
> GUI over it,
> SimpleTeXht. This method also makes XML in some variations, and .odt.) So
> Word isn't
> broken—it's just not made to recognize this particular kind of XML. (I want
> to use the word
> "schema" but don't really know what I'm talking about.) So What is missing,
> as has been stated
> in previous threads, is a converter from the XML that we're seeing to .docx,

check pandoc - I am using pandoc to convert xhtml to docx and odt - works
perfect for me. I just

\converter "xhtml" "msdocx" "pandoc -o $$o $$i" ""
\converter "xhtml" "odt lo" "pandoc -o $$o $$i" ""added the following converter:

You have to play with the LyX xhtml or the eLyXer xhtml - I used LyXHTRML
because it workded
better in my case.

I really think that pandoc should be detected automatically by LyX (when doing
reconfigure) and
added as it provides very usable conversions.

Cheers,

Rainer