Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM, Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de> wrote:
>>
>> As I just recently deleted my local TeX Live installation (which worked
>> nicely, but hdd space on notebook and simplicity of maintenance, as well
>> as the dependency of certain packages on the texlive packages were the
>> causes of the switch), this could tempt me to try it out again.
>>
>> Some things I think would be useful in the script:
>>
>> 1) the possibility to switch between local TeX Live installations (2012,
>> 2013)
>
> This will be implemented (that is, when you install you can choose
> 2012 or 2013).

I was actually thinking about installing different versions into
different directories, and then being able to switch between different
installed versions. I remember that there was a function in TeX Live to
create or delete links to a specified installation, but I don't remember
what it was.

>> 2) the possibility to switch between local and systemwide texlive
>> installation
>
> Good suggestion, but won't be in the first version of the script.

No problem - as long as it is on the ToDo list - but it should be very
similar to the point above.

>> 3) the possibility to de-install the local installation.
>
> This won't be in the first version either.

If you install one version in one directory, it should be as simple as
removing the links to that version (via that command I don't
remember...) and deleting that directory.

>> 4) the possibility to install the complete TeX Live
>
> This will be the default. I might add support to use a custom profile.

That should be fine for the beginning.

>> If these features would be included, this would most definitely be a
>> very useful script.
>
> I'm not sure if all of these will be included. I'm happy to maintain
> the script and add features, but first I just want to get out an alpha
> version for brave testers. I will put everything on github and will
> accept patches if you are up for implementing something.

Yes please - this is something which, could be put into a package for
Ubuntu. A *very* useful addition. Please let us know as soon as it is on
github.

> Thanks for the suggestions,

Pleasure - I like to contribute to the tools which I will be using...

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug