On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de> wrote:
> I was actually thinking about installing different versions into
> different directories, and then being able to switch between different
> installed versions. I remember that there was a function in TeX Live to
> create or delete links to a specified installation, but I don't remember
> what it was.

I don't think the script will deal with this directly, but I'll keep
this in mind when making the script. For example, the script does more
than install TeX Live (see below) but options should make it so that
if you want to only install TeX Live, you can do that.

>>> 3) the possibility to de-install the local installation.
>>
>> This won't be in the first version either.
>
> If you install one version in one directory, it should be as simple as
> removing the links to that version (via that command I don't
> remember...) and deleting that directory.

In theory it should be as simple as you suggest. But in practice, the
script implements some hacks to make things work better with Ubuntu.
For example it uses equivs so that if you install LyX with apt-get,
apt won't try to install all of the texlive packages. Uninstall would
just have to remember to remove the equivs packages. But there are
some other hacks that I don't know how easy they are to reverse. I
agree that eventually a uninstall should be implemented. Please remind
me in a Github issue whenever I make the repository.

> Yes please - this is something which, could be put into a package for
> Ubuntu. A *very* useful addition. Please let us know as soon as it is on
> github.

This will depend on how rough of an Alpha I want to release. Hopefully
I can give you something that you can play with in two weeks. First,
please run this on a system you don't care about (e.g. a virtual
machine or Amazon EC2).

Scott