Hi I am a beginner in Lyx and understand a bit about the principles of Latex.
I understand the advantages of a "fixed" layout and have seen some code to
create a simple one. However it looks like a very steep learning curve.

All I would like to do is 2 little adjustments to the standard "book" layout.
It looks fine on A4 paper but when dropping down to A5 paper the space around
the Chapter heading text is too big and the Chapter heading text is too big.

I believe there are two possible routes, something about a "local" module to
override current settings which would be best. Or if possible get the original
source for the book layout and create my own local layout from it. (But I
wouldn't know where to find that.. or if it is available)

So much for the principle. Any advice on where to find out about the practice
(at beginner level) would be appreciated.

(needed but not urgently required)

Best Regards

Mark H  :-)