Steve Litt <slitt <at> troubleshooters.com> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:43:02 +0000 (UTC)
> Mark Horton <mark.horton001 <at> yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi I am a beginner in Lyx and understand a bit about the principles
> > of Latex. I understand the advantages of a "fixed" layout and have
> > seen some code to create a simple one. However it looks like a very
> > steep learning curve.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> You're exactly right. LaTeX, and therefore layouts, have a steep
> learning curve. I'd recommend you make your first one in the same
> directory as your document, but test it with a tiny test document.
>

> > All I would like to do is 2 little adjustments to the standard "book"
> > layout. It looks fine on A4 paper but when dropping down to A5 paper
> > the space around the Chapter heading text is too big and the Chapter
> > heading text is too big.
> >
> > I believe there are two possible routes, something about a "local"
> > module to override current settings which would be best. Or if
> > possible get the original source for the book layout and create my
> > own local layout from it. (But I wouldn't know where to find that..
> > or if it is available)
>
> That's a last resort, Mark. It's best just to specify only the changes,
> if possible, rather than rewriting the whole environment and modifying
> it.
>
> Here's the idiomatic way people specify the changes:
>
> \let\oldmiscstyle=\miscstyle
> \let\endoldmiscstyle=\endmiscstyle
> \renewenvironment{miscstyle}{
>       %%% Stuff to do before invoking original environment
>       \begin{oldmiscstyle}
>       %%%% Stuff to do after invoking original, but before the text
> }{
>       %%%% Stuff to do before ending original, but after text
>       \end{oldmiscstyle}
>       %%%% Stuff to do after original environment ends
> }
>
> Mark, if you've been a software developer in the past, the line with
> \endoldmiscstyle probably looks like Voodoo, especially given that
> neither \endoldmiscstyle nor \endmiscstyle is ever mentioned again. Do
> it anyway: Somehow, when an environment \whatever is made, LaTeX seems
> to make a corresponding \endwhatever that gets executed upon
> \whatever's completion. I've personally had situations where this idiom
> didn't work unless I put in the line:
>
> \let\endoldmiscstyle=\endmiscstyle
>
> It's best not to give too much thought to such thing as it could screw
> up your brain --- just do it.
>

> > So much for the principle. Any advice on where to find out about the
> > practice (at beginner level) would be appreciated.
>
> I gave a beginners-eye view of making your own layout here:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200210/200210.htm#_MakingYourOwnLayout
>
> If I were you, I'd read the entire document, in order.
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200210/200210.htm
>
> I'd estimate it would be about a day to assimilate all the information,
> and you'll get back your day after writing 200 pages of LyX-authored
> [...]
Steve & Guenter

Steve
Thanks for your long and prompt reply. It was your document on creating a
layout that I looked at.  It looks very well written and clear, as do
several other documents of yours I have looked at. I have done a lot of
programming in the past, but I think your estimate of a day to get to grips
with it, is somewhat optimistic.  Perhaps a week for a finger tip grip is
more realistic for someone who is not even conversant with a lot of the
subject of layout terminology.   I appreciate your prolific enthusiasm and
desire to get me more involved. I must admit you make it tempting.
However the idea of writing one from scratch is too much to think about at
the moment.  I know  enough to know there is a huge amount about layout
issues that I have never considered.  So my worry is that even if I wrote a
basic layout, I think I could then spend years struggling with spacing
issues to avoid widows, children, uncles and whatever else is out there.

So the next thing I looked at was  Guenters' suggestion of  using  a
Document class of “book (KOMA-Script)”, or I assume that is what he meant.
Though even with this I still haven't found a full solution yet.

Guenter

Thanks for that, the documentation for this is also good, and the whole lot
seems to operate at a higher level. So I experimented, first  I tried
editing the preamble….
\usepackage{scrpage2}
\usepackage{titlesec}
\setkomafont{chapter}{\ttfamily \bfseries\huge}

This gave me some control over the chapter font, which as a default also
seems to have less space  above the text than the standard Lyx, which is
what I required.  However the header (now lacking a page number) was almost
touching the text on flowing pages, so I tried some commands to control the
header. This one placed in the preamble to control the font worked...

\renewcommand{\headfont}{\normalfont\sffamily\mdseries}

However so far it is the only one to do so.
I have also tried putting the page number back with …

\ohead{\pagemark} and \ohead{\pagenumber} in the preamble and when that
failed as inserted Tex code. Neither seem to be recognised in either
location. Ignored on the preamble and causing an error when inserted as ERT.

( I presume "pagemark" could be anything )

So I now have a “solution” with the chapter heading, but a now a problem
with the page header.

Best Regards

Mark H :-|