On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Mark Horton wrote:
>
> > All I would like to do is 2 little adjustments to the standard
> > "book" layout. It looks fine on A4 paper but when dropping down to
> > A5 paper the space around the Chapter heading text is too big and
> > the Chapter heading text is too big.
>
> Mark,
>
>    Look in Documents -> Settings. You can adjust margins, text
> layout, and other aspects of the page right there. You can also alter
> font attributes by specifying a different size using ERT (i.e.,
> insert the LaTeX code for that word or phrase).

Whoops, don't do this in the mainmatter. For consistency and easy
modification, you want all appearances in your mainmatter to be styles
based (environments and character styles in LyX lingo). If you suspect
your doc will ever be converted to anything other than LaTeX-derived
output (HTML, ePub, etc), use styles in the frontmatter and backmatter
also.

Thanks,

SteveT