On 23 January 2014 21:50, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:21 PM, William Furnass <w...@thearete.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 23 January 2014 16:23, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

>>> What happens for you when you do ctrl+shift+u? On Ubuntu 13.10 with
>>> LyX2.1beta2 I get a "u" with an underline, but on the next character
>>> it disappears. I have the feeling this is a Qt-related issue (I was
>>> just wrong on this same feeling in a thread before though so beware).
>>
>> I have a list of unicode code points taped to my monitor and want to
>> be able to enter the corresponding characters for them all without
>> having to set up shortcut keys for each.
>
> Nice idea. I often forget the usefulness of physical cheat sheets.
> I've been meaning to print some.
>
>> I forgot to mention that Ctrl-Shift-u allows me to subsequently enter
>> code points to input unicode characters in LyX on another machine
>> running Ubuntu 13.10
>
> So you are saying that it works as you expect on this machine? Which
> version of LyX is it?

2.0.6-1 on both machines.

>> and, more importantly, that pressing Ctrl-Shift-U
>> on my machine oddly generates a O with a backslash through it, without
>> me entering any characters afterwards.  I've now unset Ctrl-Shift-U in
>> the key bindings and still see this behaviour.
>
> This is why I think it's Qt-related. I don't think there's a built-in
> LyX binding for Ctrl+Shift+U.

You're right: it's an OS issue rather than a LyX one.  The problem
seems to be that the 'ibus' input method isn't installed and enabled
by default on Linux Mint 16 (which comes with the older xim input
method enabled instead).  However, I think that ibus might be
installed and enabled if one installs either the KDE and/or XFCE
desktop environments, both of which are installed on the machine on
which unicode input works as desired.

Now that I've installed and enabled ibus I can enter unicode using
Ctrl-Shift-u <<code point>>.  I can add notes on this to the LyX wiki
- would anyone mind if I hijacked [1] and gave it a more general name
e.g. KeyboardInputMethods?

[1] http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/FixDeadKeysAndCompose

Will