Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:33:57 +0100
> Murat Yildizoglu <murat.yildizo...@u-bordeaux4.fr> wrote:
>
>> Don't get vexed so quickly Jürgen :-)  The users should be able to
>> tell the problems they meet.
>>
>> Of course, I find quite excessive to speak of "LyX's lack of support
>> for Mac" or "total waste of time".
>
> You think? :-)
>
> Funny, I didn't see an offer from Mark to help make LyX more Mac
> friendly, whatever that might mean. I mean, probably most of us don't
> even have Macs to test LyX on. I know I don't.
>
> I didn't see Mark fork the project or make an alternative.
>
> He can't help us, he can't forge a new path, so he impotently rants.
>
> I think the LyX project ought to have a page for Apple users explaining
> what free software is and isn't, who creates it and why they create it,
> and a brief explanation of the fact that Mac users can always buy their
> solutions if free software doesn't float their boat.

I am a Mac user - I love LyX - I report bugs (and sometimes bug others on
the list with questions) - so please don't say "Apple users". I am sure
there are even more windows users who have unrealistic expectations -
and probably even some Linux users.

So - yes - a page explaining the principle of free software, how it
works, who works on it (a list of the core devs of Lyx would make clear
how few there are...) and how all users can (and should) contribute
would make a lot of sense. And not only for Apple users.

Overall: good suggestion!

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de