On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:13:43 +0100
Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de> wrote:

> I am a Mac user - I love LyX - I report bugs (and sometimes bug
> others on the list with questions) - so please don't say "Apple
> users".

Sorry Ranier, I shouldn't assume all Apple users are the same.

> I am sure there are even more windows users who have
> unrealistic expectations - and probably even some Linux users.
>
> So - yes - a page explaining the principle of free software, how it
> works, who works on it (a list of the core devs of Lyx would make
> clear how few there are...) and how all users can (and should)
> contribute would make a lot of sense. And not only for Apple users.
>
> Overall: good suggestion!

As a very rudimentary starting point, I've written some content about
free software and its motivations:

* http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200310/200310.htm , especially
  article
  http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200310/200310.htm#_lifeAfterWindows

* http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200201/200201.htm#_linuxlog

* http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200110/200110.htm#_linuxlog

* And my "Jon "maddog" Hall" trilogy:
  http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_jonmaddoghall
  http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_furtherthoughts
  http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_google

I had one more, that I can't find now, that was ontopic for the post
that created this whole "lively discussion", but I can't find it now.
I'll let you know if I do.

Thanks,

SteveT