Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:13:43 +0100
> Rainer M Krug <rai...@krugs.de> wrote:
>
>> I am a Mac user - I love LyX - I report bugs (and sometimes bug
>> others on the list with questions) - so please don't say "Apple
>> users".
>
> Sorry Ranier, I shouldn't assume all Apple users are the same.

No offense taken - there is enough shouting and offending going on at
the moment...

>> I am sure there are even more windows users who have
>> unrealistic expectations - and probably even some Linux users.
>>
>> So - yes - a page explaining the principle of free software, how it
>> works, who works on it (a list of the core devs of Lyx would make
>> clear how few there are...) and how all users can (and should)
>> contribute would make a lot of sense. And not only for Apple users.
>>
>> Overall: good suggestion!
>
> As a very rudimentary starting point, I've written some content about
> free software and its motivations:
>
> * http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200310/200310.htm , especially
>   article
>   http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200310/200310.htm#_lifeAfterWindows
>
> * http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200201/200201.htm#_linuxlog
>
> * http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200110/200110.htm#_linuxlog
>
> * And my "Jon "maddog" Hall" trilogy:
>   http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_jonmaddoghall
>   http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_furtherthoughts
>   http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_google
>
> I had one more, that I can't find now, that was ontopic for the post
> that created this whole "lively discussion", but I can't find it now.
> I'll let you know if I do.

Nice - but this would be to much for the average LyX user to read. As
you have already written a lot about this topic, could you write just a
page for the LyX wiki and add your articles as links? This might help a
lot in clarifying the issue to users new to Free and Open Source software.

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug