Yes, I was just about to add that. Thanks for the redirection. I am aware it is quite likely the problem is more "user error" and not an actual problem in the packages or in LyX. I have done what I can to refer to the manuals and previous posts, but hadn't found anything about this situation in particular.

I posted here first since my suspicion was that I wasn't asking LyX properly to do what I wanted. I've had problems before with the fact that LyX sets up babel and hyperref before the preamble kicks in. Also, in the end my goal(hope) is to have all these work in LyX with the actual document I am trying to produce, even if it is possible to get the packages to work together in TeX. At ths point my best guess is the problem is with how I am using unicode...