From: Richard Heck
  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:26 PM

  On 05/29/2014 03:36 PM, Alex Vergara Gil wrote:

    Hello Lyxers

    I wonder why LyX is not available to process little pieces of python code
within its own framework, like ipython notebook for instance??

    This feature allows us to have beautiful graphics such the one produced by
matplotlib package. I know there already exists a similar binding for R through
knitr module, so why not a binding for python too??

    Is there a way, like modules or whatever, to achieve the same functionality
or at least some basic functionality of ipython notebook within LyX??
  Can you be more precise about what you want to do? I've never heard of
ipython notebook.
sudo aptitude install ipython-notebook
ipython notebook

and there you can write even thesis in a web environment with python commands
being executed inlined, exporting to pdf and latex too, it is a wonder of our
times, so why not letting LyX do this miracle too??

  Sweave works by our having an output format (sweave) for such documents and
then our declaring Rscript as a sweave --> LaTeX converter, so PDF export (say)
goes via Rscript and pdflatex. There's a special script in lib/scripts/ that
"sets up some things for LyX" first, or so it claims. It would be reasonably
easy to do the same sort of thing for Python, if you wanted to do so. You'd
just need to set up an appropriate format and then declare an appropriate
script as a whatever -> latex converter. Then LyX will run the script and do as
you wish with the embedded python code.

  Of course, as we've discussed on the list with respect to R, there are large
security issues here, too.

  Richard
you obviously miss the point here, or I was not very clear! it is not a
different format, is a facility to have python scripts running within LyX
framework, you have to see ipython notebook to understand what I mean, you will
be surprised!!
Basically to build graphs, for instance (and only a piece of what can be done),
you add the (let's call it) "knitpy" module and then place a knitpy insert,
write some python code that produces a matplotlib graphic and then when lyx
compiles the document, instead of the code it is shown the graph, it also can
be done in the lyx editing window, but thats a more dificult request.

Regards
Alex