In my testing, the Remote signal does not seem to be necessary at least for
tokenized BASIC, CO, and DO files. I'd guess on-demand loading data the
laptop has to process would be different. I haven't experimented with that.

The main thing to fiddle with is that you need a reliable process for
creating and playing back the audio files at a gain/attenuation that works
reliably for your peripherals.

I've been able to get reliable results for creating audio files using both
Audacity and a TASCAM DR-05.

I've been able to playback from an iPhone, PC running Audacity, and the
TASCAM DR-05.

One issue with using a smart phone is being careful not to shuffle play the
files while driving in your car.

HELLO.BA playing over a stereo system can create a panic situation.

-- John.