My feelings about this are pretty similar, but they don't have to do with
"modern vs. retro", but rather, "how much life support is required to get the
system working"?  Accomplishing a single technical objective with a
full-fledged computer with a modern operating system ,when it could be
accomplished by something much more simpler, just strikes me as overkill and
inelegant, with a huge surplus of moving parts.  You inherit all of the
problems and maintenance issues of the computer itself, just to accomplish that
one task.  This is especially the case if the OS is Windows, as Windows can be
so much more fussy, insecure, and unstable.
A good counter-argument to this is that if using a computer as a foundation for
building your new device is the easiest, cheapest, and/or quickest way to do
it, then those benefits might be worth the cost of having the computer