Yes, I'm comfortable with soldering a new resistor, but the NEC was
originally sold with both a NiCd battery pack and a standard Alkaline
battery pack. The only difference between the two is the charging
resistor and a jumper. I would assume that the power supply would know,
based on the type of pack plugged in, how to adjust for this. But I
have no evidence of this. I have restored both an original NiCd battery
pack and converted a standard pack to be rechargeable. Both show the
same behavior.
Kurt