I'm playing with Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 myself right now. They have sd slot
built in and, and of course serial minus the max232, and seemingly gobs
more cpu and ram than needed for this task, considering what a real tpdd
itself has to do almost the same job. And unlike Tinyduino, the io pins are
all accessible directly, no extra breakout board shield needed to hook up
the max232-alike. And the "SdFat" add-on library now has native support for
the teensy 3.5/3.6 special sd reader.

It seems like these controllers should not have any problem supporting full
normal fat32 filesystem and serial and tpdd server, but for lower-spec
controllers, it might be an interesting option to just forgo any filesystem
or even partition tables and just treat the sd card as raw space the same
way the tpdd itself does, like M1SE & M3SE do on Model I/III. It's a lot
less convenient for interoperability with other OS's, but it's still
interesting and potentially useful compared to an actual tpdd, without
requiring a full pc just to run a normal tpdd server.

Another
 challenge is power. Teensy 3.5/3.6 definitely draw way too much power to
scavenge from the serial port. But maybe
not...
Maybe
it's possible to have a tiny lipo that charges at
5 or
10ma while the M100 is turned on and the tpdduino is connected
but idle?

Teensy 3.6 draws 80ma, plus the sdcard itself draws more but only very
briefly while operating, and a tiny drone lipo is 150mah, so it could run
the teensy for almost 2 hours of continuous use without even getting any
power from the M100. That already probably tranlates into days or weeks of
normal use between recharges, where the tpdd is really only active for 1
second and then idle for 1800 seconds. So even without parasitic trickle
charging, just having a tiny built-in lipo and a microusb port to charge up
would already be good enough, but with that kind of extreme duty cycle
ratio like 1:1800, charging at even 5 or 10 ma in between transfers is
probably enough to keep the lipo charged all the time forever, other than
going dead on the shelf while turned all the way off for 6 months.

I know modern max232 alternatives can power themselves entirely from the
serial port, have their own charge pumps & caps built-in, and power
themselves off when there is no serial activity, so the 3.3v or ttl to
rs232 would seem to be no problem, in terms of parts or power.