On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:09 AM John R. Hogerhuis <jho...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:05 AM Tom Wilson <wilso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I experienced the same thing. At the very least, the de-tokenizer
>> needs to scan for quotes and set an "inQuote" flag when it hits a quote and
>> export those as their ASCII value, not their token code. However, it would
>> be really nice if we could get some sort of hex tokens, such as \xFF, so
>> the files would be 8-bit safe and we could construct BASIC programs on the
>> PC without having to hack in extended ASCII codes after the fact.
>>

> It might be useful, but you wouldn't be able to load such a program back
> into a Model T, at least without a well though out escape/quoting mechanism.

Yeah, this would be entirely for exchanging data between VirtualT and a PC
based editor.

I keep thinking of how the Commodore community did it...a long time ago,
the magazine writers standardized a set of {token codes} for all the key
combos that printed graphic symbols. So when we saw a listing with
something like {Shift P}, we would hold shift and press P.
I was actually thinking of writing a program to tokenize and de-tokenize
stuff using the Graph, Code, and Graph/Code+Shift codes... but I want to
get my Star Trek port done first. =)