On 6/4/20 6:04 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:49 PM Brian K. White <b.kenyo...@gmail.com <mailto:b.kenyo...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 6/4/20 4:32 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

    I have posted links 3 such cables many times.
    And an ideal usb adapter to screw right on to it.

    http://tandy.wiki/Model_100_102_200_600_Serial_Cable

    Any of those "ideal" 3 cables is exactly the fully wired all in one
    piece cable.

    For the usb, I personally like to keep that separate because it's
    useful
    for other stuff on it's own.

Thanks.

I would suggest that the thin hood male-male gender changer should be kept as a separate piece because then the cable itself is more durable. No pins to break on the main cable.

If a pin bends/breaks on the gender changer (it has happened to me) I just throw away the gender changer.

TheĀ  cables I use are the old Belkin serial laplink which has db-9 and db-25 female both on both ends of the cable. Never had any failure. But they are not on the market any more. That is my ideal.

If building from scratch I would just put the USB-Serial adapter into the cable.

But separate works too.

You and I will mix and match parts and know what makes sense but a lot of users don't get into the details.

-- John.

Apparently being forced to stay home with nothing to do for months on end... is still not enough for me to get around to creating a few little graphic diagrams to replace my cryptic notation to show how each cable is wired exactly.

But the info is actually there. Basically, they show how the cable deviates from the platonic ideal rs232, by signal name, leaving pin numbers and the physical locations of those pin numbers on male vs female, 9 vs 25 pin, to get from standard references.