I think the way I would prefer to handle it would be to check the initial
setting of 40/80 when the program starts, switch the screen to 40, and then
switch back on exit.

Do you know is there a way to switch to 40 columns mode without calling
WIDTH? I assume if I use any keywords exclusive to Disk Basic it will break
compatibility with regular Basic.

Best,
George