On Fri, Mar 3, 2023 at 4:02 AM Francois Gurin <franc...@gurin.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2023, 6:45 PM John R. Hogerhuis <jho...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Tap the machine 3 times, proclaim "no whammies!," sacrifice a chicken and
>> move on.
>>

> Does where you tap affect the outcome? What about how hard.

It's not critical. But feel free to knock 4 or 5 times if the spirit moves.

> My accent is a little thick but I don't expect an issue unless this is a
> sensitive step.

If the family can hear you well, it's loud enough. It's really about
attracting helpful spirits. If you're not loud enough, they cannot aid you.

> I am most concerned about the chicken -- I only have ready access to live
> pigeons and pre-butchered chicken.  Any experience with more readily
> available substitutions in the city?

Between you and me, in a pinch, I've been known to toss a piece of deli
meat or unheated hot dog on the floor, business side down.

Go with what you got.

-- John.