Actually kevin's  method no longer works. They removed  the ability some time
back. if you are to double tap  and hold on a line of text  or what not in a
email there is no edit option. Not as far as I can tell, Also they removed the
spell check feature even though in the keyboard option it says spell check on
or off. I have mine set to on. so kevin's podcast unless I broke  something way
back in ios4 when playing with settings 6 months ago broke something.

Take care all.
On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Esther wrote:

> [...]
> so the insertion point has just been moved before the H in "Hello".  If my
> rotor is set to "characters", then each flick down moves the insertion point
> one character to the right. VoiceOver announces each character as you move
> the insertion point over it, so the direction that you move counts!  If I'm
> at the start of the phrase, I won't be able to flick up to move to the left
> of the H in "Hello".  If I flick down to move by one character to the right,
> I hear "H" as the insertion point moves from before the "H" to a position
> between the "H" and the "e".  If I flick down again, I hear "e" as the
> insertion point moves over the "e" to a position between the "e" and the
> first "l" in "Hello".  But, had I instead flicked up to move by one character
> to the left,
>  would have moved back over the "H" to my starting point, and VoiceOver would
> have announced "H" as I moved over this letter from the other direction.
>
> If I keep flicking down in an editable field, with my rotor set to character,
> I hear all the letters announced as the insertion point moves over the
> letters from left to right: H, e, l, l, o, space, w, o, r, l, and d. Now,
> suppose I wanted to edit and change "world" to "word".  After I flicked down
> and moved past the "l" of "world" and hear it announced, my insertion point
> is between the "l" that I just heard VoiceOver announce, and the final letter
> "d". Double tapping the "delete" key deletes the letter to the left of the
> insertion point.  If I double tap the "delete" key to the right of the "m"
> key and just above the "return" key in the bottom right corner of the virtual
> keyboard, I'll delete the "l", and VoiceOver will announce the new word,
> "word" (instead of "world").  My insertion point is still before the final
> letter ("d") in the phrase. I can flick down to move my insertion point to
> the end of the text.
>
> The same process works to edit phrases by word.  If my insertion point is at
> the start of the phrase, and I've set my rotor to "word" instead of
> "character", then flicking down moves my insertion point one word to the
> right.  I hear VoiceOver say "Hello".  The insertion point is just after the
> final "o" in "Hello".  Pressing the delete key would have VoiceOver announce
> the deleted letter ("o").  If I now flick up to move left by one word,
> VoiceOver announces "Hell", and the insertion point is placed to the left of
> the word (at the beginning of the phrase, before the "H").  If I want to edit
> "world", and assuming it were near the end of a sentence (instead of being
> the second word) I could flick down to move through the sentence by words.
> Then, when I was just before "world", I could change the rotor from "word" to
> "character" and flick down to hear the individual characters announced, and
> make my correction.  Or, more likely, I would flick down and hear "world"
 an
> d decide that I wanted to edit that word.  So I would change my rotor to
> "character" instead of "word", and start flicking up to move to the left.  My
> insertion point is always placed before or after the character (or word) I
> have just navigated past.  Since I navigated to the right (flicked down) by
> word, it is after the final letter "d" in "world" -- the word I just heard
> VoiceOver announce.  If I flicked up (to navigate to the left) before
> switching the rotor to "characters", the insertion point would be placed at
> the end of the previous word (e.g., it would be all set to announce the
> "Hello" with the next flick up).
>
>> MB: 3.  Does anyone know of a podcast where this topic is handled in greater
>> depth?  I only started using my iPhone yesterday, and I really can't
>> complain too much.  I only encountered the keyboard entry problem when I
>> unsuccessfully tried to sign in to a website. :)
>

> Esther: There probably is a podcast that covers this, but I can't think of
> one offhand.  You might have an easier time reviewing entries with a paired
> Bluetooth keyboard.  I'm going to paste in the question and response I gave
> to a much earlier list post by Matthew Chao last year.  He wrote:
>
>> Finally, I have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.  Is there any way I can get VO
>> to just say words while on the keyboard, not repeating characters, while on
>> the phone itself, repeat characters and words?
> Esther: The issue you have stems from the fact that VoiceOver is announcing
> both your context location and your specific items when you navigate through
> text with a keyboard.  If you only want specific words spoken, hold down the
> Shift key to select entries as you navigate -- then only the items that you
> select with the keyboard will be spoken. If you press Shift+Option+Right
> Arrow, for example, you will move your insertion point to the right by one
> word (Option+Right Arrow), and also select it (since the Shift key was
> pressed). VoiceOver will announce that word.  If you keep holding down the
> Shift and Option keys while tapping the Right arrow key, you'll hear
> VoiceOver announce those words, too.  If you hold down the Shift key and just
> tap the Right arrow key, you'll be selecting characters, and VoiceOver will
> announce the character.  You can select from present point to end of line
> (Shift+Command+Right arrow) or to the beginning of a line (Shift+Command+Left
> arrow). You c
 an