  From: Esther
  To: Mac OSX & iOS Accessibility
  Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 11:21 AM
  Subject: Adjusting VoiceOver speaker volume [was Re: Using the iPhone
4Swithout earphones_]

  Hi Mike and Ian,

  Mike responded before I could, but his statement is correct: the volume of
VoiceOver through the speaker and the volume for other audio sources playing
through the speaker are set separately on the iPhone.  If it happens that for
some reason the volume for VoiceOver has dropped through the speakers, just
start VoiceOver speaking -- for example, by doing a two finger flick up to read
all the contents of the current screen -- and use the volume up controls at the
side of the iPhone to increase VoiceOver's volume through the speaker while
VoiceOver is speaking.  You don't need to reset or turn off and then power up
your phone to do this.  You simply need to make sure that VoiceOver is speaking
when you perform the volume up adjustments.

  HTH.  Cheers,

  Esther

  On Feb 6, 2012, at 6:11 AM, Michael Busboom wrote:

  > Hello Ian,
  >
  > I am greatly relieved to report that the problem has been solved.  Though
your diagnosis was incorrect, it got me to thinking, and I resolved the problem
in a pretty non-spectacular way.

  > First of all, I went to the Sounds entry in settings and determined that my
sound volume was at 100%.  Then, I turned off the phone and waited for a minute
before powering it up again.  No change.

  > Finally, while holding the volume up key, after unplugging the earphones, I
just started randomly touching the screen to make VO talk.  All of a sudden, I
started hearing the speaker.  This leads me to conclude that the external
speaker volume is independent from the earphone volume.  Perhaps this will help
someone else, too.

  > Best regards, and thank you for indirectly helping me resolve the problem.
:)

  > Mike
  > On 6,Feb,2012, at 3:07 PM, Ian McNamara wrote:
  >
  >> Hello Mike, no it is your Iphone, this should not happen. I'm on my third
Iphone fours as the speaker went on my other two phones. It might be worth
getting a sighted person to check that the volume is on full when using
speakers. If it is on full and there is still no sound, go to apple and try and
get a replacement.

  >> Ian McNamara

  Please remember to update your membership options periodically by visiting