Hi  Karen

I strongly suggest you have a look at the VoiceOver Quickstart guide, by
pressing the keys "Control, Option, Command and F8) together.  That will walk
you through the process.  Of course, you can request as much help as you need,
that's why this list is here.  Feel free, if you wish, to also contact me off
list as I'm sure will be the case also with most members.  We are only too
happy to help new Mac users, so please don't ever think your question is too
stupid or dumb, it is not.

But the guide, along with the list's archive will help you in your quest to
learn the ropes.

Good luck and you know where we are.

Gordon