This is really weird.
After using the method of emailing a book to myself I books not opened the
non DRM book I emailed to myself but also amazingly when I went back to the
library all the books I had synched this morning, over 12 hours ago were now
sitting proudly in the library labelled under new,   whereas this afternoon
and this evening Ibooks was insisting that only  the book I purchased
yesterday was visible.

There seems to be at least a hitch here as from the web page I quoted
earlier there are other people encountering the synching problem with ITunes
that I had.

For whatever reason emailing a book as an attachment and opening the book
from Mail into Ibooks broke the log jam and made the books I had previously
synched visible.

This is all very weird as the IPod has not been hooked up for hours to
either the Mac or my Laptop  sod why the books should only now become
visible is odd.

Still some progress at least.

Thanks

David Griffith