Gordon,

The HD version is a software / hardware integrated solution that has been
designed to work with Pro Tools Avid hardware.  So avoid this version unless
you have a lot of cash and want to go down this route.

In the meantime, why not check out the podcasts on Apple Vis.  There are about
7 of them, and I can't comment on how good or bad they are, as have not
listened to them yet.

You will find part 1 at:
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/look-pro-tools-mac-part-1

Chris