It depends on the software used to produce the daisy book, but in general, as long as the book isn't encrypted, you can play the mp3 files in any mp3 player. Of course, you loose the functionality of the daisy format in this case, but if you're just looking to get at the content, without regard for navigation via page/chapter/paragraph, then any old mp3 player will do the trick. This (again) assumes no encryption was used in creating the daisy books. Often the file names are not sequential, so there may be some hit or miss to see what file comes next, which is why I suggested using the smil file, just open it in quicktime, and all the chapters will be laid out quite nicely for you to pick and choose which one you'd like to listen to. I've seen daisy books with a single large file, and others with hundreds of files, and obviously, if you're hunting for a specific location, and you've got hundreds of files to churn through, it can be quite the chore, but it does work. I've only used daisy software once or twice to read daisy titles, most of the time, I just load the mp3 files into quicktime and go from there.
hth.