It looks like the latest version of texinfo is 5.2.

You can find it at:
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo/texinfo-5.2.tar.gz

After it's downloaded, open terminal, switch to the folder where it's located
(I have a source folder in my home folder, and I copy things into that folder
in their own folders before opening them, just to keep things organized).
(of course, I use wget to download such things instead of a web browser, so I
don't need to move them anywhere, but that's another story)

Then, at the terminal prompt, type:

tar -zxftexinfo-5.2.tar.gz

This will create a texinfo-5.2 folder with the contents of the 5.2 texinfo
program in it.
Rename this folder if you like to make changing to it easier, but if not, then
just type:

cd texinfo-5.2

Then type the following commands (as each one finishes):

./configure
make
sudo make install

Assuming the rest of your compiler chain is recent enough, the process will
produce screens and screens of output, all talking about the versions of tools
on your system, where they're located, and of course, the compile messages
which sometimes get quite involved.
But, assuming all goes well, you'll then have a texinfo version that is
updated, and much newer than the one that ships with OSX by default, as this
one was released in September (judging from the timestamp on the download page)

After that's done, you can go back to your previous program (lewis) and try the
make again.  There may be other issues, but at least the texinfo version one
will be solved.
hth.

the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the
Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free.
However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy.  We assume
neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.