One more caveat.  Since the make install puts the makeinfo program in the
/usr/local/bin, it will be overridden by the one in the /usr/bin folder, so
you'll need to either rename the one in the /usr/bin folder with a command such
as:
sudo mv /usr/bin/makeinfo /usr/bin/makeinfo.orig

or simply refer to it by it's actual install name, which is texi2any
On the other hand, a command like the above (to move the initial makeinfo to a
new name) then one like this:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/makeinfo /usr/local/bin/texi2any

will serve the same purpose.

The second command will add a sim-link into the place where the initial one was
located, and therefore will still be found by default from the terminal prompt.
Otherwise, you'd either need to muck around with paths and/or environment
variables, and while both aren't all that complicated once you know how it all
works, it's a lot simpler to just replace the original one with the new version
in this case.
Sorry for the additional note, and my apologies to anyone on list who finds
this kind of thing supremely boring.

the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the
Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free.
However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy.  We assume
neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.