Hi Sarah,

It's possible that the update to Homebrew did not go through.  If you are on
Yosemite, 10.10 was supposed to install both Ruby 2.0 as a default, while
Mavericks shipped with Ruby 1.8.7 to support some legacy software.  That's one
of the reasons I'm confused about whether you were starting from a
configuration that had a working version of Homebrew (under Mavericks) that
you're trying to update.

I'm not upgraded to Yosemite, and I'm running the last version of Mavericks.
When I use Command-Shift-G in Finder and type or paste in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions
I have folder entries for both 1.8 and 2.0 (with modification dates Oct. 30,
2013 and Oct. 17, 2014).  Opening either of those folders includes a Ruby
executable.  Can you check whether your 1.8 folder has contents?

If it doesn't, maybe you can move this over from a Mavericks backup?

The other possible way to do the update might be to issue commands in Terminal
like:

cd /usr/local/Library
sudo git pull origin master

But I'm not sure how that will play out for you.

Sorry not to have more suggestions.

Cheers,

Esther

On Jan 13, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I take the last email back. it still failed with the same error and I
> followed that link to the letter. All appeared to have worked, but I guess
> not. I tried installing the software I needed, but still no go. I still came
> up with the following error.
>
> /usr/local/bin/brew: /usr/local/Library/brew.rb:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby: bad
> interpreter: No such file or directory
> /usr/local/bin/brew: line 21: /usr/local/Library/brew.rb: Undefined error: 0
>
> and this is when I tried to issue a brew update after killing the sim link as
> instructed.
>

>> On Jan 13, 2015, at 2:44 PM, Esther <mori...@mac-access.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sarah,
>> I haven't been following what you're trying to do, but the likely source of
>> your problem is that Yosemite changed both the default version of Ruby (2.0
>> instead of 1.8.7) and its location, while Homebrew has sym links that are
>> coded to expect the older version of Ruby.  Since it can't find the
>> interpreter, it's failing.
>>
>> I can't tell from what you've described what you are trying to do.  If it is
>> a matter of fixing the sym links and you're running Yosemite and with a
>> version of  Homebrew that was already updated and working under Mavericks
>> then you can type the following 4 lines in Terminal to update Homebrew for
>> Yosemite:
>>
>> cd /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions
>> sudo ln -s Current 1.8
>> brew update
>> sudo rm 1.8
>>
>> You basically change your directory so you can create a sym link to 1.8 for
>> the current version of Ruby, run brew update, remove your sym link.  Source
>> URL of the fix is:
>>
>> http://ryantvenge.com/2014/09/ruby-homebrea-yosemite/
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Esther
>>

>> On Jan 13, 2015, at 9:12 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hello all. I'm tryign to reinstall home brew. I followed the prompts but
>>> got  this when doin ghte clean up.
>>>
>>> usr/local/bin/brew: /usr/local/Library/brew.rb:
>>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby: bad
>>> interpreter: No such file or directory
>>> /usr/local/bin/brew: line 21: /usr/local/Library/brew.rb: Undefined error: 0
>>>
>>> How do I proceed from here? I really hope I don't have to remove the
>>> directories by hand.
>>>

>>> it still clames home brew is installed so can't reinstall it, I don't think
>>> with this mess.
>>> Tc  to all.

the list's public Mail Archive:

As the Mac Access Dot Net administrators, we always strive to ensure that the
Mac-Access E-Mal list remains malware, spyware, Trojan, virus and worm-free.
However, this should in no way replace your own security strategy.  We assume
neither liability nor responsibility should something unpredictable happen.